Apr 10, 2010

Black Men - White Women


Mzskeen Blog: Black Men/White Woman
So, about a week or so ago, I posted Jill Scott’s Essence Magazine article about the “sting” that black women feel when they see a black man with a white woman.  Shortly after, a long debate of very opinionated woman erupted on my facebook page.  Long story short, one of the individuals, who happened to be a white woman, made the statement that there is no, “sting”, just a black woman’s insecurity. As you can imagine, this opened up a very heated response from black women.

After reading all of the comments and exchanges of words, I started to question why would a black man date a white woman? At the end of the day there are many different reasons, but ones that stood out to me, were status, change and circumstance. Going a step deeper, I have even categorized certain men with each reason.

**Side note: Before I get into this, please note that everything you are about to read is an OPINION… MY OPINION! It’s my blog so I can say whatever I want! All you can do is 1) Agree with me. 2) Disagree with me. 4) Stop reading. Just don’t knock me!

Why BLACK MEN date WHITE WOMEN:

*Status: Taking a looking at SUCCESSFUL black men, athletes, musicians, moguls, entrepreneurs, etc. it is quite evident that an alarming majority of them are toting a white woman on their arm.  Whether they are just dating or married, I believe that their status is what leads them to date outside of their race.

Going back in American history, a black man couldn’t even look at a white woman without being ridiculed and in some cases killed. The white woman was OFF LIMITS! So, in MY OPINION I think that once a black man makes it to a certain financial bracket, or social status, in order to truly feel complete, they get a white woman to be the cherry on top off everything.  A lot of these men have worked hard for what they have and been told no quite a few times in their lives, so once they have the power of choice, they (conscious or subconsciously) choose a mate outside of their race, to show that they “have arrived.”

*Change: Contrary to what I said before, these men are used to black women. They’ve had and dealt with them all. From the hood sistas, controlling sistas, educated sisstas, stuck up sistas etc. and now, they want a change.  After having failed relationships with black women, they feel the need to explore outside of their race.

For other black men, curiosity is also a leading factor. All their lives they’ve been with and around black women and may have gotten bored. In order to satisfy their appetite for something new, they date outside of their race.

*Circumstance:
Not all black men grew up in areas where black people were prevalent. For some black men, they grew up in predominantly white neighborhoods and may have only been exposed to white women their entire lives. While some men may have black white and Latina women to choose from, these men have blonde, brunette or red heads as their choices in finding a mate.

I also believe that sometimes a combination of all three may occur. . . again, there is no definite answer to this question because its such a personal issue.

All I can say is be open and don’t be to quick to judge.

2 comments:

  1. Very nicely written. I can dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the overall article, it provided a good synopsis of your personal opinion. I specifically loved your conclusion "let’s not be too quick to judge"

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive